Tuesday 11 September 2012

8:30 AM, That Fateful Day, The Future

K.

I refocus my thoughts onto the present and look around the conference centre.I can tell that if my tax money is going to get wasted, it might as well be be wasted on something like this. The flashy hall sends a clear message: science is everywhere and in everything, and synthetic biology is the major player. Not the only one, obviously, but it was ‘the next big thing’ not so long ago. And it would still be flourishing if it wasn't for the fear coming from the public. Even when it's impossible to define "the public" because nearly everyone knows a little bit about the basics of genetics. I guess it just makes it easier to manipulate people. Information doesn’t give you power unless you know how to use it.
With these thoughts I sit in the lecture theatre, feeling like a young student again, ready to absorb the knowledge that speaks to you from every corner of the room. Or you know, get wasted and pass out in a bed not necessarily my own. I lean back as the room starts to fill and we're being served fresh tea and coffee. "Thermobacter infused" of course. A bunch of hypocrites, keeping bacteria with real potential locked away while they fill their stomachs with this junk. It's better than water I guess, especially when I don't know where it came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment