Friday 21 September 2012

3:20 PM, That Fateful Day, The Future

A.

‘This is how it will be - I will keep working for you, doing what I’ve been doing for the past five  years while you will fund a new department to develop cheap, easy to administer implants that ward people from the most common pathogens. I’m tired of seeing so many people suffer from the things whose existence most of us have nearly forgotten about already. Nothing can help make up for the lives you’ve taken but at least you can give some other people their lives back, or a chance to live at all.’ The pharmacology industry could have done this years ago but that would have meant that nobody would be paying them lots of money for the well-established, easy to afford drugs, so they’ve been heavily subsidizing our other projects to stop us from doing it ourselves.
‘Silly girl, you have no right to make demands of me, it is my money and I can do what I want with it. I own you, too, and I could make sure you will stay silent about this. Permanently.’
‘Actually, you’ll find that the money comes from the taxes people pay. They were paying you to protect them and instead they paid for their own deaths. And as I said, get rid of me and the consequences will be dire.’
After a long moment, he realizes that he is defeated. Might as well cut his losses and give in, this can only end badly for him if he tries to outsmart me, and he knows it. ‘Very well’ , he says, ‘I await a list of candidates you suggest for this department. Leave now.’

No comments:

Post a Comment