Monday 10 September 2012

8:15 AM, That Fateful Day, The Future

K.
As people start filling the lecture theatre I can't help noticing their bored faces, taking the science for granted. And I keep thinking about the other day, when I took the risk and leaped into the new chapter of my life.

Wearing a white lab coat I walk at steady pace, not looking behind. Act normal, pretend that I know what I’m doing and why I'm here. Well, I do know this but I'd rather not have other people realise. Fortunately for me, the hospital is full of students and staff so blending in shouldn't be too much trouble. Getting a security clearance wasn't easy but I know people, even though I can hardly call them my friends.

I find the lab I was looking for - it's so clean and tidy that it's scary. Quite empty as well, I guess it's my lucky day. Now I only need to find the storage freezer and be on my way back home.
Except some guy is walking towards me.
- Excuse me, but...
I shove my papers to his face and hope he's too young to be important around here.
- I'm in a little bit of hurry here so please stop bothering me.
He's clearly puzzled, good for me.
- I...yaa, I just thought you might show me where we keep the competent cells, since you're going to the freezer anyway...
Jackpot! He's new here and maybe I can push my luck a little further...
- Sure, do you at least remember where the stem cells stocks are? The cells you need should right next to them.
- Yes, of course, I saw people working with them before and...
- Yes, that's great, why don't we just get you some.
My heart is pounding, I can barely hear my own thoughts. I think karma is catching up with me for the whole riot mess because I actually found some competent cells as well. I grab some stem cells and enzymes and let the guy go back to his work. He'll never know...

No comments:

Post a Comment