Monday 3 September 2012

8 AM, That Fateful Day, The future

K.

Time to dust off the old suit and polish the shoes. It seems that my self-justified criminal career has taken me really far away from the lifestyle most people call normal. I may remain cynical and sarcastic as much as I want but I can't deny that I miss events like this. A science conference may sound boring but it's an opportunity to meet unique people and have some real conversation, something that both the internet and the virtual reality simulations are still lacking. I'm a bit weary of the invitation though. Even though they get piled up on my desk every week, there is something ominous about getting one for an interesting conference just when I started working in the field. "What defines humanity? Dangers of stem cell research and bio-augmentation". The price I pay for the tickets is small, just a few beers once in a while open many doors for me. It's kind of sad how I think of my friends though, just another asset that can be used from time to time. Maybe a lecture about humanity is just what I need. Either way I've been locked in my man-cave for way too long. I can't miss such an opportunity to catch up with both my past and future life at the same time. Maybe I'll feel the same excitement that once accompanied me in the lab, maybe I'll hear about some genuinely exciting advance. Either way it's worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment