Tuesday 3 July 2012

7:00 AM, July the 3rd, The Future

A.

I’m so comfortable. ‘These new sheets with Thermobacter™ adjust to maintain your body temperature a cozy 36.7ÂșC through the night, taking care of your sweet dreams.’ If only I didn’t have to get up and go to work.. but the alarm clock keeps on beeping, the biosensor knows that I haven’t reached the ‘awake’ part of my circadian rhythm quite yet, and the frequency of the noise it makes is keyed to my body, inducing a more and more alert state one beep at a time.
I finally get out of bed, turn the alarm clock off (which now answers to my command) and proceed to take a shower. Yes, a shower. They call me old fashioned for that. I know that my clothing contains enzymes that clean my body throughout the day, but a lukewarm shower in the morning wakes me up better than any cup of that ‘probiotic, thermostable bacterial’ tea (that I drink nonetheless). I think can afford to waste 5 minutes for this outdated ritual, regardless of how valuable ‘time’ has managed to become.

No comments:

Post a Comment